Seed Space is calling all national and international artists to submit their work for a group videoart show called Deep Play Fun House. The selected artists will have their work displayed in a large Track One warehouse. Any and all who are interested in videoart are welcome to apply.
Deep Play Fun House is a juried exhibition and installation of videoart works in the expansive Track One warehouse. As an immersive video and sound environment, the viewer defines the narrative sequence by negotiating labyrinthine pathways in a large, formerly industrial environment alongside live sound performances for a one night event on Halloween.
Just as artists have historically taken advantage of the lack of fixed meaning in industrial spaces to transgressive and playful ends, Deep Play Fun House will be an opportunity for artists to address the blurred boundary between rural and urban, past and present, memory, desire, and sense of place.
DEEP PLAY FUN HOUSE
This exhibition is in partnership between Seed Space, the Rymer Gallery, and Track One.
ABOUT THE JUROR
Brent Stewart is a multi-media artist, whose works range from painting, photography, and video installation to feature films. He is a Nashville native who received his MFA from Goldsmiths College, London, in 2003. In 2010, his work was included in the LA based Robert & Tiltons gallery show: “Projections” by “31 of the most influential filmmakers of our time” and selected in 2010 as Filmmaker Magazine’s “25 New Faces of Independent Film”. His photography has been featured in the Nike sponsored exhibition and published edition: Being True, “22 Years of American Youth”. His short film, The Dirty Ones, premiered at Sundance Film festival, which was produced by film auteur Harmony Korine and the French fashion designer, agnés b. He is represented by Zeitgeist Gallery in Nashville, TN.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE Wednesday, September 30
SELECTION NOTIFICATION Friday, October 9
EXHIBITION DATE Saturday, October 31
VIDEOART SCREENING Tuesday, November 3
REGULATIONS AND GUIDELINES
1. This call requests not a response to a prompt, but a willingness for the artist’s work to be experienced as one part of a whole. In addition to exhibition, works will be screened in a traditional setting so that artist’s intentions may be viewed in full.
2. Open to national and international artists. No submission fee.
3. Works submitted must be original single channel videos made within the past 5 years.
4. Works may be silent or have audio. For the October 31 exhibition, works will run without synchronized sound.
5. Duration of the video is recommended to be under 15 minutes.
6. Artists must send digital screening copies by Wednesday, October 14.
7. Artists will not be responsible for installing works.
8. Exhibition will be a ticketed event; selected artists will receive 4 tickets.
1. Upload password-protected video to Vimeo.
2. Send email to Seed Space Curator Rachel Bubis (firstname.lastname@example.org) with:
Subject header “Deep Play Video Submission”
Vimeo link, password
Brief description/statement about the work
Artist CV and bio
For more information about Deep Play Fun House, visit http://seedspace.org/